Hospice & Palliative Care
ONLINE CONTINUING EDUCATION
Learn Anytime. Earn Credits. Improve Practice.
ON-DEMAND WEBINAR SERIES:
NURSING CARE IN THE FINAL HOURS OF LIFE
Staff Development Educator
MJHS Hospice & Palliative Care
Purpose: The goal of this webinar is to: 1. Educate nurses in clinical skills and professional mindfulness necessary to provide a therapeutic presence for a patient and family as death nears and 2. Educate nurses in the role of the hospice nurse as a member of the interdisciplinary team.
- Assess the physical signs of disease progression indicative of approaching death, and name at least three common signs and symptoms
- Assess the psychosocial and spiritual-existential factors which impact a patient's and family's experience of approaching death, and state the potential impact on the dying process
- Facilitate physical, psychosocial, and spiritual comfort through nursing interventions during the final hours of life, and give an example which includes at least three holistic interventions
Target Audience: Nursing administrators and managers, nurses, and healthcare coaches
Criteria for Successful Completion:
- Attendance at entire session
- Submission of completed evaluation form
- Successful completion of a posttest (70% passing grade)
Continuing Education Credits: 1.0
Continuing Education Accreditation:
Nurses: MJHS Institute for Innovation in Palliative Care is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by The Alabama State Nurses Association, an accredited provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
Individual: $25 (includes CE certificate)
Release Date: May 28, 2019
Expiration Date: April 17, 2024
Charlotte Huebner, RN-BC, BSN, CHPN, has no financial arrangements or affiliations with any commercial entities whose products, research or services may be discussed in these materials. Any discussion of investigational or unlabeled uses of a product will be identified.
Russell K. Portenoy, MD, Planner, has indicated a relationship with Tabula Rasa for research support.
No other Planning Committee Member has any disclosures.
Planning Committee Members
Lara Dhingra, PhD
Colleen Fleming-Damon, PhD, ANP-BC, ACHPN, FT
Myra Glajchen, DSW
Helena Knotkova, PhD
Russell K. Portenoy, MD
Karen Richards, PhD, EdS
Wini Schein, BA
Funding Disclosure: No commercial funding has been accepted for the activity.
Location: Online at https://www.mjhspalliativeinstitute.org/e-learning/
The MJHS Institute for Innovation in Palliative Care is pleased to offer our free interdisciplinary webinar series, live and on demand, delivered by frontline experts, typically offering 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ for Continuing Medical Education (CME), Nursing continuing education (CE), Social Work CE credits, and Music Therapy CE edits.
Our free interactive multimedia modules on Community-Based Palliative Care Program Development and Caring for Holocaust Survivors With Sensitivity at End of Life offers up to 9.75 CE credits.