Hospice & Palliative Care
ONLINE CONTINUING EDUCATION
Learn Anytime. Earn Credits. Improve Practice.
ON-DEMAND WEBINAR SERIES:
ROLE OF THE NURSE IN ADVANCE DIRECTIVES
Palliative Care RN Specialist
MJHS Hospice and Palliative Care
Purpose: The goal of this webinar is to gain an introductory understanding of the social changes that have occurred since the enactment of the Patient Self-Determination Act (PSDA) in 1991, specifically the advance directive. This webinar will provide an introduction to major efforts leading the field of palliative care to improve the quality of advance care planning discussions and the completion of advance directives.
- Discuss the prevalence and significance of having an advance care planning discussion and completion of an advance directive
- Recognize the barriers and facilitators to conducting advance care planning discussions and completing an advance directive
- Describe resources and strategies for improving advance care planning discussions and completing an advance directive for patients and families and professionals
- Review common situations in which nurses can identify barriers and facilitate discussions and completion of advance directives
Target Audience: nurse practitioners, registered nurses, advanced practice nurses, and registered nurses with a specialty in palliative care/hospice
Criteria for Successful Completion:
- Attendance at entire session
- Submission of completed evaluation form
- Successful completion of a posttest (70% passing grade)
Continuing Education Credits: 1.0
Continuing Education Accreditation:
Nurses: MJHS Institute for Innovation in Palliative Care is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by The Alabama State Nurses Association, an accredited provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
Individual: $25 (includes CE certificate)
Release Date: May 30, 2019
Expiration Date: April 17, 2024
Betty Hilleman, MBA, MSN, RN, CHPN, has no financial arrangements or affiliations with any commercial entities whose products, research or services may be discussed in these materials. Any discussion of investigational or unlabeled uses of a product will be identified.
Russell K. Portenoy, MD, Planner, has indicated a relationship with Tabula Rasa for research support.
No other Planning Committee Member has any disclosures.
Planning Committee Members
Lara Dhingra, PhD
Colleen Fleming-Damon, PhD, ANP-BC, ACHPN, FT
Myra Glajchen, DSW
Helena Knotkova, PhD
Russell K. Portenoy, MD
Karen Richards, PhD, EdS
Wini Schein, BA
Funding Disclosure: No commercial funding has been accepted for the activity.
Location: Online at https://www.mjhspalliativeinstitute.org/e-learning/
The MJHS Institute for Innovation in Palliative Care is pleased to offer our free interdisciplinary webinar series, live and on demand, delivered by frontline experts, typically offering 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ for Continuing Medical Education (CME), Nursing continuing education (CE), Social Work CE credits, and Music Therapy CE edits.
Our free interactive multimedia modules on Community-Based Palliative Care Program Development and Caring for Holocaust Survivors With Sensitivity at End of Life offers up to 9.75 CE credits.