Hospice & Palliative Care
ONLINE CONTINUING EDUCATION
Learn Anytime. Earn Credits. Improve Practice.
ON-DEMAND WEBINAR SERIES:
A 69-YEAR-OLD MAN WITH A HISTORY OF ALCOHOLISM AND PERSISTENT PAIN AFTER LIMB-SPARING RESECTION OF AN OSTEOSARCOMA
Chief Medical Officer, MJHS Hospice and Palliative Care
Executive Director, MJHS Institute for Innovation in Palliative Care
Professor of Neurology and Family and Social Medicine,
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Purpose: The purpose of this case conference is to enhance the knowledge of nurses in the management of patients with chronic pain and a comorbid substance use disorder.
- Improve the assessment of chronic pain after cancer surgery
- Improve the assessment of treatment risk in populations with chronic pain and a history of substance use disorder
- Employ first-line and second-line pharmacotherapy for the treatment of chronic pain after cancer surgery
- Enhance the safe use of opioid therapy by a best practice approach to careful patient selection
- Employ best practices when opioid therapy is necessary for the patient with a history of substance abuse
- Understand when referral for specialist care is necessary during the management of the patient with chronic pain after cancer surgery
Target Audience: Social workers and healthcare coaches,nurse practitioners, registered nurses, advanced practice nurses, and registered nurses with a specialty in palliative care/hospice
Criteria for Successful Completion:
- Attendance at entire session
- Submission of completed evaluation form
- Successful completion of a posttest (70% for nurses; 80% for social workers)
Continuing Education Credits: 1.0
Continuing Education Accreditation:
Nurses: MJHS Institute for Innovation in Palliative Care is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by The Alabama State Nurses Association, an accredited provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
Social Workers: MJHS Institute for Innovation in Palliative Care is recognized by the New York State Education Department’s State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0242.
Individual: $25 (includes CE certificate)
Release Date: June 24, 2019
Expiration Date: February 14, 2021 (for nurses); January 31, 2022 (for NYS Social Workers)
Russell K. Portenoy, MD, Faculty and Planner, has indicated a relationship with AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals LP for research support. Any discussion of investigational or unlabeled uses of a product will be identified.
No other planners have any financial arrangements or affiliations with any commercial entities whose products, research or services may be discussed in these materials.
Planning Committee Members
Lara Dhingra, PhD
Colleen Fleming-Damon, PhD, ANP-BC, ACHPN, FT
Myra Glajchen, DSW
Helena Knotkova, PhD
Russell K. Portenoy, MD
Karen Richards, PhD, EdS
Wini Schein, BA
Location: Online at https://www.mjhspalliativeinstitute.org/e-learning/
The MJHS Institute for Innovation in Palliative Care is pleased to offer our free and fee-based interdisciplinary webinar series, live and on demand, delivered by frontline experts, typically offering 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ for Continuing Medical Education (CME), Nursing continuing education (CE), and Social Work CE credits.
Our NEW 5-module interactive e-learning course on Palliative Care Program Development offers up to 6.5 CE credits.