Interprofessional Webinar Series:
Oncologic Emergencies for the Palliative Care Specialist
This webinar is presented in collaboration with the
National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization.
Funding Disclosure: No commercial funding has been accepted for the activity.
Date and Time: May 5, 2016, 12:30 PM – 1:30 PM ET (Live)
Location: Online at https://www.mjhspalliativeinstitute.org/e-learning/
Speaker Name and Title:
Seema Varma, MD
Hospice Medical Director, MJHS Hospice and Palliative Care;
Director of Hematology and Oncology, Medical Associates of Marlboro PC
Purpose: The purpose of this webinar is to facilitate ongoing learning for early recognition, diagnosis, and management of oncologic emergencies in the palliative care setting.
Why Do I Need to Know This?
• To be able to facilitate medical decision-making based on the patient’s prognosis and goals of care
• To have working knowledge of current treatment protocols
Objectives: Participants will be able to:
- Recognize the presenting symptoms of common oncologic emergencies in palliative medicine.
- Identify standard diagnostic approaches and management protocols/options.
- Discuss the benefits and burdens of proposed treatments in the context of prognosis and goals of care.
Target Audience: palliative care specialists, pain specialists, primary care providers, nurse practitioners, registered nurses, advanced practice nurses, registered nurses with a specialty in palliative care/hospice, pharmacists, allied health professionals, fellows, residents, and medical students
Criteria for Successful Completion:
- Attendance at entire session (mandatory for nurses and pharmacists)
- Submission of completed evaluation form (mandatory to receive CE/CME credit for MDs and nurses)
- Submission of completed Verification of Continuing Education Participation Form, Program Evaluation Form, and CE Validation Form (mandatory for pharmacists). Pharmacists must email all three forms to Shelita Clark at firstname.lastname@example.org or fax forms to 212-649-5544 within 45 days of webinar date.
Continuing Education Credits: 1.0
Continuing Education Accreditation:
NHPCO designates this live activity for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
NHPCO designates this live activity for a maximum of 1.0 contact hour. Nurses should claim only the contact hours commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity. Accredited status by ANCC refers only to continuing nursing education and does not imply endorsement of any commercial product discussed in conjunction with this activity.
Pharmacists: St. John’s University College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education. Completion of this program provides a total of 1.0 hours of home-study continuing education credit. In order to obtain credit, participants must complete and submit required continuing education forms. The Universal Activity Number assigned to this program is: #0043-9999-16-028-H01-P. Credit will be posted to CPE Monitor within six weeks.
Individual: $25 (includes CME/CE certificate)
Group: $65 + $5 per CME/CE certificate
Registration fees for webinars are not refundable.
System Requirements for Computers and Mobile Devices:
Seema Varma, MD, has no financial arrangements or affiliations with any commercial entities whose products, research or services may be discussed in these materials. Any discussion of investigational or unlabeled uses of a product will be identified.
Russell K. Portenoy, MD, Planner, has indicated a relationship with Pfizer Inc. for research grant support.
No other Planning Committee Member has any disclosures.
Planning Committee Members
Barbara Bouton, MA, FT
Colleen Fleming-Damon, PhDc, APRN-BC, ACHPN-BC, C.T.
Steven R. Gardner, MPA, PAHM
Myra Glajchen, DSW
Jennifer Kennedy, RN, MA, BSN, CHC
Russell K. Portenoy, MD
Karen Richards, PhD, EdS
Judith A. Skretny