Interprofessional Webinar Series:
Palliative and Hospice Care for Patients with Congestive Heart Failure
Funding Disclosure: No commercial funding has been accepted for the activity.
Date and Time: March 20, 2018, 12:30 PM – 1:30 PM ET (Live)
Location: Online at https://www.mjhspalliativeinstitute.org/e-learning/
Michael Mencias, MD
Senior Hospice Medical Director
MJHS Hospice and Palliative Care
Purpose: Congestive Heart Failure (CHF) patients are frequently referred for palliative care support, not only because of the high symptom burden, but to help navigate goals of care over the course of disease progression and treatment options available. This webinar will provide a brief overview of the definition, diagnosis, and treatment of congestive heart failure; discuss prognostication of CHF patients; and advanced heart failure treatment options including Cardiac Implantable Electronic Devices, Cardiac Inotrope Therapy, and mechanical circulatory support (Left Ventricular Assist Device).
- Discuss the definition, diagnosis, prognostication, and treatment of Congestive Heart Failure
- Discuss advanced heart failure treatment options including Cardiac Implantable Electronic Devices and Cardiac Inotrope Therapy
- Discuss preparedness planning and palliative care support of patients with Mechanical Circulatory Support (Left Ventricular Assist Device)
Criteria for Successful Completion:
- Attendance at entire session (mandatory for nurses and pharmacists)
- Submission of completed evaluation form (mandatory to receive CE/CME credit for MDs, nurses)
Continuing Education Credits: 1.0
Continuing Education Accreditation:
The Medical Society of the State of New York designates this live activity for a maximum of 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Individual: $25 (includes CME/CE certificate)
Group: $95 (includes unlimited CME/CE certificates)
Michael Mencias, MD, has no financial arrangements or affiliations with any commercial entities whose products, research or services may be discussed in these materials. Any discussion of investigational or unlabeled uses of a product will be identified.
Russell K. Portenoy, MD, Planner, has indicated a relationship with AstraZeneca Pharmaceuticals LP and Tabula Rasa for research support.
No other Planning Committee Member has any disclosures.
Lara Dhingra, PhD
Colleen Fleming-Damon, PhDc, ANP-BC, ACHPN, FT
Myra Glajchen, DSW
Helena Knotkova, PhD
Russell K. Portenoy, MD
Karen Richards, PhD, EdS
Wini Schein, BA