Hospice & Palliative Care
ONLINE CONTINUING EDUCATION
Learn Anytime. Earn Credits. Improve Practice.
ON-DEMAND WEBINAR SERIES:
HIV/AIDS: UPDATE ON A HIGH-BURDEN CHRONIC ILLNESS
Jenna Butner, MD
St. Barnabas Hospital
Addiction Medicine & Infectious Disease
Purpose: HIV/AIDS is a chronic viral condition. Evolution and treatment options have changed significantly over the years. Once classified as an acute disease with high mortality rate in the 1980's, it is now viewed as a manageable chronic disease state with prognosis similar to that of the general population, requiring integration of palliative care as part of treatment. This webinar will address some of the particularities and challenges of HIV/AIDS.
- Review the epidemiology, nationally and internationally, and the evolution of the status of HIV/AIDS from an acute illness with high mortality to a manageable chronic disease state
- Examine the principal clinical features of the disease, and identify common comorbidities associated with HIV including certain cancers, cardiovascular disease, and psychiatric comorbidities
- Review common symptomatology and its treatment in this population (neuropathy, anorexia)
- Discuss the guidelines for initiating antiretroviral therapy (ART) and when stopping ART may be appropriate
- Explain how to address the challenges of prognostication in HIV/AIDS and when referral to hospice is appropriate
Target Audience: Primary care providers, nurse practitioners, palliative care specialists, pain specialists, registered nurses, advanced practice nurses, registered nurses with a specialty in palliative care/hospice, social workers, allied health professionals, fellows, residents, and medical students
Criteria for Successful Completion:
- Attendance at entire session
- Submission of completed evaluation form
- Successful completion of a posttest; 80% passing grade (mandatory to receive CE credit for social workers)
Continuing Education Credits: 1.0
Continuing Education Accreditation
Nurses: MJHS Institute for Innovation in Palliative Care is approved as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the Northeast Multistate Division Education Unit, an accredited approver of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
Social Workers: MJHS Institute for Innovation in Palliative Care is recognized by the New York State Education Department's State Board for Social Work as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers #SW-0242.
Individual: Free (includes CE certificate)
Release Date: December 9, 2019
Expiration Date: April 17, 2024 (for nurses); January 31, 2025 (for NYS Social Workers)
Jenna Butner, MD, has no financial arrangements or affiliations with any commercial entities whose products, research or services may be discussed in these materials. Any discussion of investigational or unlabeled uses of a product will be identified.
Russell K. Portenoy, MD, has indicated a relationship with Tabula Rasa for research support.
No other Planning Committee Member has any disclosures.
Planning Committee Members
Lara Dhingra, PhD
Colleen Fleming-Damon, PhD, ANP-BC, ACHPN, FT
Myra Glajchen, DSW
Helena Knotkova, PhD
Russell K. Portenoy, MD
Karen Richards, PhD, EdS
Wini Schein, BA
Funding Disclosure: No commercial funding has been accepted for the activity.
Location: Online at https://www.mjhspalliativeinstitute.org/e-learning/
The MJHS Institute for Innovation in Palliative Care is pleased to offer our free interdisciplinary webinar series, live and on demand, delivered by frontline experts, typically offering 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ for Continuing Medical Education (CME), Nursing continuing education (CE), Social Work CE credits, and Music Therapy CE edits.
Our free interactive multimedia modules on Community-Based Palliative Care Program Development and Caring for Holocaust Survivors With Sensitivity at End of Life offer up to 9.75 CE credits.
Free pdf downloads now available: 15 palliative care professional factsheets and patient education handouts on 18 topics in English, Spanish, Haitian Creole, Arabic, French, and Russian.